Elavador de Sta. Justa – Lisbon – Portugal

The Santa Justa Lift, also called Carmo Lift (Elevador do Carmo, [elɨvɐˈdoɾ du ˈkaɾmu]), is a lift in the city of Lisbon situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa. It connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square.)
Neogothic structure of the Santa Justa Lift. The bridge leads to the Carmo Square.
The Santa Justa Lift was designed by Raul Mesnier de Ponsard, an engineer born in Porto to French parents, and apprentice of Gustave Eiffel[citation needed]. Construction began in 1900 and was finished in 1902; originally powered by steam, it was converted to electrical operation in 1907.
The iron lift is 45 metres tall and is decorated in neogothic style, with a different pattern on each storey. The top storey is reached by helicoidal staircases and has a terrace that offers views of Lisbon Castle, the Rossio Square and the Baixa neighbourhood. There are two lift cages, each with a wooden interior and accommodation for a maximum of 20 passengers.
The lift has become a tourist attraction in Lisbon as, among the urban lifts in Lisbon, Santa Justa is the only vertical one. Others, including Elevador da Glória and Elevador da Lavra, are more like funiculars that help climb the slopes of Lisbon.
About these ads